Rate Post Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Rate this post by selecting a number. 1 is the worst and 5 is the best.

(Worst)    1    2    3    4    5     (Best)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Filmguy
Tinkerer
Username: Filmguy

Post Number: 2

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0

Posted on Saturday, August 25, 2007 - 12:46 pm:   

This question relates to a Nikon F100. However, the lens mount and associated mechanisms go back to the '70s, so I'm hoping the moderator won't consider this OT.

My question has to do with removal of the stainless lens mount ring. The aperture tab ring underneath it is sticking, and I can tell there's somethng wrong with the spring that pulls it back to the home position. It's weak when I push the tab by hand, and it makes a "springy" sound when I mount or dismount a lens. As an aside, I bought this body used, but I don't see signs of previous disassembly. Even under fairly high magnification, the screwheads look pristine. Also, the S/N of this camera is one of the most recent I've seen, and there are very few signs of use.

Is there anything tricky about removing the mounting ring and associated parts? I want to inspect the internal mechanism, but not if it involves a level of complexity likely to cause damage. My only alternative is to send it to Nikon, and while I'm not opposed to that in general, I hate to spend $200 if this might be a simple disassembly and repair.

FWIW, my skills include major disassembly, repair and alignment of numerous '60s model fixed-lens rangefinders. Much of the work I photographed and posted here a few years ago. I have the basic tools for this sort of work, but I'm leery of learning SLR repair with this particular body. Any assistance from someone in the know will be very much appreciated.

Happy shooting!

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration