Rate Post Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Rate this post by selecting a number. 1 is the worst and 5 is the best.

(Worst)    1    2    3    4    5     (Best)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

M_currie
Tinkerer
Username: M_currie

Post Number: 68

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0

Posted on Saturday, August 25, 2007 - 03:39 pm:   

I'm looking at an F100 here. It looks as if you should be able just to unscrew the flange, but I'm not sure how much more will come off when you've done that. It's somewhat similar to the old F (which I also have here for comparison), and on that one you have to go pretty deep, and actually remove the mirror box, before you can get access to the deeper mechanism of that lever. I have an F in pieces here, so it's pretty easy to see what's what there. If you can get to the mechanism, I don't think it would prove too difficult to figure out what's binding.

Before going too far, I'd check very carefully to see if the arm is centered in the slot from which it emerges. It is not too uncommon for the arm to become bent or twisted, if a lens is installed wrong, or if a lens with its stop screw missing is rotated past the lock position. That could cause it to bind. If it's just bent, it might be possible to tweak it back into line with small needle nose pliers or forceps.

Beyond that, though, I think you're likely to find that it's a difficult part to access even if you do take the front flange off, unless the F100 has a two-piece mirror box with a front that comes off. It's hard to tell looking at it, and for some odd reason I don't think my wife would be happy if I took a screwdriver to her F100 to find out, so you're on your own there. I don't think you'll get in to too much trouble just unscrewing the flange to see what happens next.

Below is a quick and dirty shot of what the lever is supposed to look like. If it's not in that position and at that angle, consider it bent.

a working F100

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration