Rate Post Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Rate this post by selecting a number. 1 is the worst and 5 is the best.

(Worst)    1    2    3    4    5     (Best)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Filmguy
Tinkerer
Username: Filmguy

Post Number: 7

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0

Posted on Monday, August 27, 2007 - 04:27 pm:   

Well, I took the bayonet off an EM body last night, just for practice. The mechanism that moves the aperture ring is somewhat different than that shown in my N6006 manual (I believe the latter is similar to the F100). Rather than a spring, the EM uses a tensioned nylon gear that rides just inside the ring. The ring has teeth formed on a portion of its inner circumference that mate with the gear. As soon as I pulled off the ring, the gear went "spurnk!" and lost all its tension. I had to wind it back up with a toothpick and awl, two or three teeth at a time, in order to reassemble the EM in working condition.

That wasn't so bad, actually, but it did reveal a more significant issue: Whatever mechanism is used to tension the gear isn't visible. That means access to the tensioning mechanism would require peeling the leatherette away from both sides of the bayonet and removing the plate that the bayonet mounts to. Someone on another forum has informed me that the situation is the same for the F100, and that opens up a new can of worms. I don't want to experiment on the F100 at this level, so I've decided to send it to Nikon for the work.

Thanks for taking time to try and help me with this. Enjoy that F100 - my experience isn't the norm, and they are otherwise extraodinarily fine cameras!

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration