Rate Post Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Rate this post by selecting a number. 1 is the worst and 5 is the best.

(Worst)    1    2    3    4    5     (Best)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

L_n_h
Tinkerer
Username: L_n_h

Post Number: 4

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0

Posted on Saturday, September 15, 2007 - 08:33 am:   

To answer your last comment first, perhaps it is unlucky, though these identical faults actually occurred a over year apart. The only other trouble Ive ever had with them in 20+ years has been shutters sticking closed when the camera accidentally got a bump in an upside down position; and that was soon solved by taking a photograph, winding on, then all was fine again.
Onto the subject in hand then:
I think you are narrowing it down. Brass plates off, and I note that when the wind mechanism is in full 'jam' position, the thin strip of metal which cocks the shutter will quite happily move to the right when pulled with pliars (it springs back when released). So its fairly certain the jam comes before the 'strip' movement. Furthermore I can now see a black metal lever which fits into a square groove in a disc attached to the film wind lever arm column -like a key (its interlocking with it at 3 O'clock, if you point the lens away from you). I dont know what this lever is, (it has a spring or wire on the front with a right angle turn which dives down into the front of the camera near where the shutter release button is), but the lever is meant to be in the disc at some stage of the cycle, as its a perfect fit. The disc+column cannot possibly turn with it in place. However there must be more to it, because this lever can be pushed forward and clear of the disc (and it will spring back by itself when released), but the disc+column still doesnt turn. You can see all the brass cogs below the column, and the mechanism up to the strip etc etc trying to move, then halting.
Other than this there no obvious other things to see. There are lots of cogs down there -it would only take one grain of dirt to jam that lot up.
Perhaps we should go onto the next stage... Im game if you are!

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration