Rate Post Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Rate this post by selecting a number. 1 is the worst and 5 is the best.

(Worst)    1    2    3    4    5     (Best)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Steve_s
Tinkerer
Username: Steve_s

Post Number: 68

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0

Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 02:33 am:   

You are right about the location of the slotted nut. I think the problem tightening the taper-screw and locking the L-shaped screw may have been that you had lifted the delay mechanism enough to disengage the gears at the top of the long spindle that links it to the resistor, so that the top spindle (with the split end) was turning freely.

I can't think of an obvious reason why the delay mechanism would not come off. The whirring sound was almost certainly the delay gears and escapement mechanism turning, so possibly the shutter was cocked on one of the slow speeds, but I can't see why this would be a problem.

Thinking again about my theory that the setting of the main variable resistance relative to the shutter-speed/film-speed control is probably the same on similar Prakticas, I would be inclined to change it to "possibly the same"! I would set it as you found it if you can, and if you don't have any reason to think it has been changed or has slipped. Compare the exposure values with another Praktica with the same type of metering (your first MTL3 if you set that back as it started) before you glue the scale back on. You should be able to alter the setting quite easily, if needed, with the camera fully assembled apart from the shutter-speed scale and the bottom cover.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration