Rate Post Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Rate this post by selecting a number. 1 is the worst and 5 is the best.

(Worst)    1    2    3    4    5     (Best)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 213

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0

Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 03:30 pm:   

Sorry York Praktica Fan, but you are completely off the mark. If you live in the UK, get a copy of the free 'dslr Round-Up' - given with the 17th November copy of Amateur Photographer. There in, you will find 'prosumer' used/described exactly as I have previously stated. The Editor has even used my Nikon D3/D300 example!

You have to remember that the bench-mark is the 'professional model', the down market refers to this bench-mark. The Canon EOS 5D can be looked upon as a cheaper/slightly down market camera, when compared to the EOS-1Ds Mark 111. However there is no way that you can describe the 5D as entry level.

As Wernerjb's link indicates, in the photographic context the word means of a 'type and build to be useful to both amateurs and professionals alike'. The word was never used in the days before digital, people could easily work-out that the Canon F1 was professional kit and the A1 was aimed at the advanced amateur. The A1 could stand the rigors of professional use - I used a couple of A1 bodies alongside my F1s - but changing focus screens on the A1 was not an 'in the field' job. This definitely reduced the capability of the A1 for covering a number my forensic commissions.

However; no matter what the build qualities and thus the ruggedness of the cameras were, the functions were still pretty similar and cost gave a very good indication as to where in the market, the models were pitched. In the DSLR market today it seems there is a need to have a specific word to describe the 'semi-professional' camera. This has arisen because there are vast differences, in the operating functions and menus, on the various classes of digital SLR. Price is no longer a good indication of intended use, you soon find that these semi-professional cameras have their prices nearer to the entry level groups, than the £6,000 professional group. So it then becomes unclear if the camera is based on an up-rated amateur body or a down-rated professional one.

Far simpler to use the word 'prosumer', than list all the cameras specific attributes or intended usage. Mind you I still hate seeing the word in print, just more 21st century jargon!

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration