Rate Post Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Rate this post by selecting a number. 1 is the worst and 5 is the best.

(Worst)    1    2    3    4    5     (Best)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 214

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0

Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 11:03 am:   

JB,

Ah Alice! - I can see we are going to get into serious word play.

I have no problems with new words appearing. The English language has been borrowing and amending words/phrases, from other languages, for centuries. You have only to see the number of 'new' words that are added to each new edition of the 'Oxford English Dictionary' to see the extent of this modern increase. The problem occurs when they are used in such a way, that their true meaning - in the contest of the article - is unknown. Describing a camera as 'prosumer', does not tell me which bit of the camera is professional and what is consumer. ie, I do not need a camera that is built like a tank, but certainly need a professionally based operating system.

Now as far as it concerns me, the above argument is a bit spurious - after forty odd years in the business, I have a pretty good idea what a particular camera is supposed to do and who it is aimed at. The very fact that this thread exists, indicates that we do have problems with certain words and phrases. However, as Wernerjb states, we are never going stop or alter this behaviour.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration