Rate Post Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Rate this post by selecting a number. 1 is the worst and 5 is the best.

(Worst)    1    2    3    4    5     (Best)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

John_shriver
Tinkerer
Username: John_shriver

Post Number: 22

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0

Posted on Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 07:51 pm:   

There's no third-party normal lenses for Topcons, at least not meter-coupled. A non-meter-coupled Zeiss Tessar 50/3.5 would be an excellent lens, but similar to the Topcor 58/1.8 in performance.

The best interchangeable mount made that fits the Super D has to be the Tamron Adaptall one. Only thing "wrong" with it is the aperture ring turns the wrong way, opposite of the way the meter needle moves. But there a few fixed focal length lenses from Tamron that I would expect to be better than the Topcors, or cheaper including the right mount.

The one Tamron I'd plug is the 300/5.6 model 54B, which has extraordinary close-focusing capabilities, and is razor sharp.

Of course, if you want modern zooms, the Tamron lenses are the way to go.

There is a Vivitar/Soligor (well, Tokina really) T4 interchangeable mount for Topcon. I've got one mount, but never seen a lens to match it that would offer me anything interesting.

If you don't want meter coupling, there's the zillions of T2 mount lenses.

Also, Komura made a quality set of third-party lenses with both their Unidapter and Uni-Auto interchangeable mounts. (Former is for preset lenses, later has auto-diaphragm on Topcon, but no meter-coupling.) There are some interesting Komura lenses, like a 100/1.8 and a 200/3.5.

There were also four rare "high speed" Komura lenses (85/1.4, 105/2.0, 135/2.0, and 135/2.4), but they used special interchangeable mounts, which are very scarce in Topcon/Exakta.

Well, the Topcon 200/5.6 is such a slow lens, and not all that sharp, so perhaps a Tamron, Vivitar, Soligor, or Komura 200/3.5 lens is a better choice at that focal length. Tamron's certainly the best of those, but not common.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration