Rate Post Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Rate this post by selecting a number. 1 is the worst and 5 is the best.

(Worst)    1    2    3    4    5     (Best)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Reiner
Tinkerer
Username: Reiner

Post Number: 59

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0

Posted on Saturday, February 09, 2008 - 11:23 pm:   

In the past I have used John's short-cut on several camera with different success. Using just a solvent it is possible to get the focus move again but it will dry out and freeze again after some days or weeks. I made much better experience with fine oil.

Gun oil might be an option or nyoil. My preferred one is good synthetic engine oil. Apply only sparringly and let it soften the dried grease. After some hours try to work the thread. If necessary apply again, repeat after some days. The problem is not to apply too much otherwise the oil and the goo might find it's way into the shutter. At the other hand it has to be enough to soften the old grease. Ideally the focus will be soft and smooth again. Mostly however it will be good enough to use but uncomfortable with some distance areas working easy others remain stiffer.

In the case of my Yashica 35 RF I did not even try the shortcut. The focus was not like frozen it was like welded. An attempt to work it ended with a loose distance ring. Like you I do not like defective self sitters and I have more than 100 RFs needing repair. Thus I decided to sell this one as a defective shelf model. The Yashica 35's are rare in excellent condition and I did not want to spoil it. Somebody else might appreciate it. I even made a loss when I sold it.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration