Rate Post Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Rate this post by selecting a number. 1 is the worst and 5 is the best.

(Worst)    1    2    3    4    5     (Best)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Steve_s
Tinkerer
Username: Steve_s

Post Number: 109

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0

Posted on Friday, March 07, 2008 - 03:20 am:   

Thanks for the input, Rick and Mikel. It's really the fundamental principles of how the shutter is supposed to work I'm looking for.

I've just started on my pile of Exaktas - all needing CLA of course! I've done the C & L on a rough VX1000 (with the help of Miles Upton's manual) which fortunately didn't need new curtains, but now I've started the "A" I really need to find out what I am doing. The sort of instructions that tell you "if 'x' is too high increase the tension on 'y'" are all very well, but without knowing what I am actually trying to do, sooner or later I always seem to find myself going round in circles!

Some of the questions I'm looking for answers to are: -

1. Should the 2nd curtain effectively be free-running OR should it be set slightly slower than the 1st, so that the 1st curtain pulls it along (at the faster speeds) and maintains the slit?

2. Should I be trying to set the curtain tensions so that there is as little acceleration as possible across the frame? This would require tensions much lower than the by-the-book values. If the curtains are supposed to accelerate across the frame, then presumably the slit width is supposed to increase, but I can't see how this could be done reliably. Adjusting spindle diameters by shimming, to widen the slit across the frame, could only work correctly at one speed.

It still seems a bit of a black art to me at the moment, but I'm sure if I knew how the darn thing was supposed to work it would all fall into place! I'll look out for Ed Romney's book. I've missed it a couple of times on eBay.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration