Rate Post Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Rate this post by selecting a number. 1 is the worst and 5 is the best.

(Worst)    1    2    3    4    5     (Best)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Tikirocker
Tinkerer
Username: Tikirocker

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0

Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 11:28 am:   

G'day gents,

I'm in a bit of a hurry, sad to say my Contax 139 which has served me without major incident for nearly 16 years, just up and died. I love this camera and would be very sorry to see it go.

It has been working fine lately until I picked it up yesterday and the cocking lever would not wind on and felt very grainy, rough in movement. I checked through the view finder to see if LED's were flashing and responding and to my horror it was dead. Thinking the batteries may be dead I went and bought two new ones and found zero response.

This has never happened in all the years I've had it, is this a dead Circuit Board?

Here I am getting prepared for an assignment in Japan and I find my favourite camera is dead - I have Medium Format also but I am trekking so have no plans to carry an RB67 and lenses on foot for hundreds of Klm's.

I am fairly mechanically and technically minded so without a repair manual I removed the bottom plate to see if I could detect anything amiss but nothing really happened there - what I did notice was that on the odd occasion I could get the shutter to fire but it would not respond immediately and then would not fire at varying shutter speeds ... it was firing at some very slow speed like 1/15th or the like regardless of the setting ... delayed firing. After doing this a few times it would seize up again and not fire and is showing no power.

Any advice on what is up appreciated!

Best, S.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration