Rate Post Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Rate this post by selecting a number. 1 is the worst and 5 is the best.

(Worst)    1    2    3    4    5     (Best)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

August
Tinkerer
Username: August

Post Number: 11

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0

Posted on Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 08:22 pm:   

Another snap ring gave me a lesson tonight. This time I tried to take out rear snap ring holding in the back element in a Nettar 515/2. This one is bigger, stiffer, and nastier than the ones that hold in the middle element. So much so that the glass couldn't take the strain when it started to flex. So much for one 10.5cm f6.3 Novar. And even with the lens broken, the ring still won't come out.

Well, no big deal. The fungus which was why I was trying to remove this element had probably scarred the lens anyway, and the front element and Derval shutter are salvageable, for what they are worth (which is not a lot!). I had been thinking of souping up this body and bellows, which are in good shape, with a better lens/shutter combo and now am free to do that. Still, wrecking optics is no fun, especially since I can't figure out what I could have done differently to prevent it -- other than limit myself to removing the smaller snap ring in future cameras.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration