Rate Post Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Rate this post by selecting a number. 1 is the worst and 5 is the best.

(Worst)    1    2    3    4    5     (Best)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Kb2qqm
Tinkerer
Username: Kb2qqm

Post Number: 12

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0

Posted on Thursday, January 15, 2009 - 07:36 pm:   

Well the camera is back together now.
I replaced the No.1 Pocket folder original bellows with a 6x9 new bellows I found at Craigcamera.com for $10.

I really don't have any experience with tiny rivets and rivet sets.

All the old timers were correct, and I stand corrected. The bellows were held in by the bended tabs at the base of the bellows accessible from inside the camera.

I drilled out the rivets because I saw the inner bellows material through holes in the ends of the camera sides. When they originally joined the camera together, the metal parts that were mated, they used black fabric as a sort of 'washer' material. That material was the same material that was used for the inner bellows. It was surely confusing until I had all the rivets out.
Whoops.
Learned allot though. I took many pictures and will post them on my website shortly.

I also took apart the lens and shutter assembly and soaked everything in Naptha (lighter fluid) for about 2 hours. You should have seen the dirt and sand or whatever come out of that shutter. It was truly amazing. I did try using a light oil on the shutter, but that was a mistake, so I resoaked the shutter and again rebuilt it. It works great now. It does not stick and works fantastically. Truly amazing what people accomplished with shutters so long ago.

When I took it apart, I found a thumbprint of the person who probably put it together. I pondered that while reassembling the camera. That person now dead and gone, but their camera is still living on. For every piece of sand and dirt that came out of the shutter/lens, each one of those grains had a story to tell, of pictures of places been. I wondered where that camera had been since 1920. In peace or war, the stories it held we will never know.

I used the smallest of machine screws to piece the camera back together. Took me three days. The bellows are back on, and I have the first roll of FP4 in it right now.

The camera is not original, but looks original, and it is back to taking memories.

I had been looking for a nice medium format camera at keh.com but all were out of my price range, plus most are not pocketable.
Now I have a medium format camera with a new bellows all for
$25 total. Great price for being unemployed !

Thanks everyone for the help.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration