Rate Post Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Rate this post by selecting a number. 1 is the worst and 5 is the best.

(Worst)    1    2    3    4    5     (Best)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Blackbeard_ben
Tinkerer
Username: Blackbeard_ben

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0

Posted on Friday, June 19, 2009 - 10:22 pm:   

Adrian,

I'm trying to do exactly the same thing with a pair of 20mm f/2.8 lenses myself. One is in very rough condition but has a perfect front element, which I'm trying to transplant to the other.

I have a little experience with taking apart lenses after working on a pair of Series E lenses (very simple), so I though why not give it a try on these two since each one was rather cheap.

Now, the ugly one is really rough and grimy, probably the worst lens I've seen that still has passable glass. The aperture and focus labels are almost illegible, and there are scratches all over the barrel & filter that was on it.

Its rubber focus ring is loose, so I took it off all the way and discovered a set screw in it. I loosened it a bit before it wouldn't budge any more; it's full of grime and I was beginning to strip the top. From there, I though it might be able to twist off. Using my hand I was able to twist it just a little bit, enough to see some movement. It took an incredible amount of torque though, enough that my wrist still hurts.

I decided that the lens is so ugly that I don't care if it gets any worse, so I took it in to my garage and put it in a vise with one of those rubber jar-opening grip things. I tried turning it by hand again and got it to turn a little more, but not much. I decided it was time to try the wrench. I grabbed a very large adjustable serrated grip wrench and used another rubber jar opener between it and the ring. Clamping down hard, it began to turn. If I let up too much, it just scraped off the paint. I was able to rotate it around until it came loose. It came off easily at that point, just slipping forward.

Now I'm at a standstill. I don't have any rubber lens rings, and I'm not sure if unscrewing the inner ring will free the glass. There's three screws in the barrel, but I believe they're glued down (as were the ones inside the back of the lens).

Anyway, Bossman's offer seems pretty good for what you're trying to do.

Bossman: Actually, I would be interested in paying a repair fee and/or letting you keep the ugly lens as parts in return for exchanging the front element groups on them - if you'd be interested in something like that.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration