Rate Post Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Rate this post by selecting a number. 1 is the worst and 5 is the best.

(Worst)    1    2    3    4    5     (Best)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Harlee
Tinkerer
Username: Harlee

Post Number: 51

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0

Posted on Sunday, June 28, 2009 - 05:24 pm:   

I recently picked up a fine black AE-1. Upon pressing the shutter, red diods sarted blinking in the viewfinder and the needle rested at the very bottom of the scale. After fiddling with it for a while, I did get the needle to register the correct F-stop and the blinking stopped. I had removed the bottom plate and fired the shutter manually which seemed to get it reading correctly. However, every once in a while the blinking starts up again and the needle drops to the bottom of the scale. I don't want to run film through it until I know that it's working correctly. I'm sure it's either a capacitor or some contacts not working correctly but I'm not sure where to look. I'd hate to remove the top to have a look, but probably that's where the problem may lie, cause it's not visible with the bottom plate removed. I understand the AE-1 is an electrical nightmare, but has anyone had the same problem and were you able to find the problem. I may have to send it off to Gary's Camera to have a CLA, but I 'd like to attempt to find the culprite first.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration