Rate Post Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Rate this post by selecting a number. 1 is the worst and 5 is the best.

(Worst)    1    2    3    4    5     (Best)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Teraforce88
Tinkerer
Username: Teraforce88

Post Number: 28

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0

Posted on Saturday, January 29, 2011 - 11:32 am:   

Zenzaman: It could be that some of the pots are dirty. Try moving the aperture ring and the ISO/ASA dial back and forth a bunch of times to see if that fixes it. If not, then try cleaning the pots under the pentaprism (be sure to take a pic of the pots first so that you remember their initial positions!).

I used to have a similar issue with my XE-7, except the meter would randomly shoot up instead of down. Moving the aperture ring a few hundred times fixed that issue.

At any rate, be sure to handle the camera yourself before you buy, just to make sure that the shutter is indeed functioning properly. Be sure to test ALL speeds, not just X or B (which don't require batteries).

Regarding the service manual: I paid for the pdf version I currently have. I really don't want to upload that service manual because a) I don't want to get sued by uscamera.com, who had originally sold the service manual to me, and b) people would then have free access to something I had to pay for.

I apologize if that sounded selfish, but I will be more than willing to freely share any other knowledge I currently have in helping you out. Keep in mind that I am by no means a camera repair person; I just bought the service manual just so I could figure it out myself.

If you really do want the service manual, I suggest going to http://www.uscamera.com/xesm.htm. This is the place I got my pdf service manual. It's only $9.99, but the wealth of information you get is almost priceless IMO.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration