Rate Post Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Rate this post by selecting a number. 1 is the worst and 5 is the best.

(Worst)    1    2    3    4    5     (Best)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 969

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0

Posted on Wednesday, August 19, 2009 - 08:30 pm:   

There is a surprising amount of variety in cat lens design. I've had 5 of them, 3 of which I still have... I've only taken one apart, and that was just the very basic separation of the front and rear halves. Generally, mirrors have a simple single helical - essentially a front-element-focusing arrangement. On the one that I separated, the infinity and close focus stops were screws accessible from the outside of the focusing ring, and after pulling those out the front end just unscrewed. This exposes the primary mirror in the rear half, and the rear surface of the front corrector plate and the secondary mirror in the front half. I would not disassemble any further than this unless absolutely necessary, I expect that centering is pretty critical with all of the folds in the light path. I've seen some pretty nice performing mirrors and some really awful ones ... I wouldn't want to inadvertently turn one of the former into one of the latter.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration