Rate Post Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Rate this post by selecting a number. 1 is the worst and 5 is the best.

(Worst)    1    2    3    4    5     (Best)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jenateresa
Tinkerer
Username: Jenateresa

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0

Posted on Thursday, August 27, 2009 - 10:38 am:   

Hi, I am really new to SLRs, I've been playing around with my mom's old Canon rebel Ti for a few years now.
Anyway, I found a nice looking Yashica TL-Super at a second hand shop for $10, and even though I couldn't get the shutter release button to work, I decided to get it anyway and see if I could work on it for a while.
Well, upon further inspection, I'm realizing that while the lens is pretty nice and seems to work fine, the whole shutter mechanism is shot. The film reversing button is stuck in, and will not budge, the film advance arm only moves about a quarter of the distance it should, and the self timer lever seems to be broken (it moves with no resistance) and makes the self-timer sound at random intervals. If I press the shutter button down a little, it will start making the self-timer sound.

Anyway, thought it would be fun to play around with this camera, and see if I could practice/learn repairs and learn about fully manual cameras in the process. But, I don't really know where to start with this one.. any advice on where to start, and what to look for would be greatly appreciated.

I've downloaded the operation manual, but haven't been able to locate a decent repair manual yet.

should I even attempt this, or am I in over my head?
thanks in advance!

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration