Rate Post Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Rate this post by selecting a number. 1 is the worst and 5 is the best.

(Worst)    1    2    3    4    5     (Best)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Cooltouch
Tinkerer
Username: Cooltouch

Post Number: 32

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0

Posted on Wednesday, October 21, 2009 - 12:03 pm:   

I just acquired a Vivitar S1 24-48mm zoom, and discovered to my dismay that the aperture iris was stuck open. Not such a big deal, I hoped, and opened up the back of the lens. Fortunately getting to the iris blades and their actuating mechanism was relatively easy. Unfortunately, in the process, one extremely tiny spring, and another average small screw vanished into the 13th dimension, leaving not a trace of their former existence in this universe.

I can get by without the spring, I suspect, since it is used to engage a locking mechanism for Canon breechlock, which is meant to keep the breecklock ring locked open until mounted. But the screw is one of three that holds down the aperture ring assembly, and plays a more essential role. It's phillips head, with about a 4mm long shank and about 1mm in diameter. Fine thread of course.

I did do a search for this, and got a hit from four years ago, where the most useful reply was to buy an old Japanese transistor radio/tape deck, etc, and dismantle it with the hopes of finding a screw of a similar size. If all else fails, that's what I'll try to do, but I don't have any suitable donor items at the moment.

So if you know of a good source for this sort of thing, I'd appreciate it if you could pass it along. I'm not having much luck with Google.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration