Rate Post Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Rate this post by selecting a number. 1 is the worst and 5 is the best.

(Worst)    1    2    3    4    5     (Best)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

David_nebenzahl
Tinkerer
Username: David_nebenzahl

Post Number: 72

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0

Posted on Wednesday, January 20, 2010 - 10:31 am:   

While it's fun and often cheap to find interesting cameras in secondhand stores and yard sales, not all of us have access to such amenities. I don't love eBay--in fact, I hate a lot of things about it--but it is a potential source for inexpensive collectible cameras.

If one has any repair skills at all, the trick is to look for non-working cameras that are otherwise in good condition. For example, I just picked up a very nice looking Bolsey B2 (li'l American-made 35mm rangefinder) for $6 that only needed a near-complete overhaul to give me a completely working, usable camera. (For that price, it would have been worth it even if it turned out to be a "shelf queen".) Be sure to avoid cameras with too many missing parts, badly scratched lenses, etc.

But of course, it's even more enjoyable to track down wild cameras "in the field", like the now-working Minolta SRT-101 I got for $5 at a junk store recently ...

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration