Rate Post Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Rate this post by selecting a number. 1 is the worst and 5 is the best.

(Worst)    1    2    3    4    5     (Best)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Prasanna
Tinkerer
Username: Prasanna

Post Number: 20

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0

Posted on Wednesday, October 28, 2009 - 09:05 am:   

Thanks Steve for the kind and prompt response. I figured the problem and solved it too. I opened up the body, the top and the front modules apart. Amazed at the modular neat design; reminds me of the VW Beetle. There is a shutter operating module attached to the left of the mirror box. There is a lever that operates the shutter and when it kicks back to the idle position [toward back of the camera] it is supposed to drag a small ear that is attached through the wall opening to the mirror chamber to the lever that releases the mirror to come down. This ear [I don't have a better name for it!] piece was bent away and was not getting the purchase from the shutter operating lever. It is very small and hidden from sight because of the maze of levers as you mentioned. As it is all mild steel I bent it back to shape and the mirror module worked fine.

I shall post some pictures tomorrow for your interest. I got misled by reading Tomosy's book that this happens due to the weakness of the mirror return spring. Actually I found that the spring on this ear piece lever is redundant. The mirror returns by its own spring at the hinge in the back.

The shutter module was all dirty and almost rusty. I cleaned that up with alcohol and lubed it. It works fine. All the modules are working well and timing well too.

Unfortunately, the lever in the cocking mechanism that sets the trigger in the shutter button module was very weak and broke. metal fatigue, I guess. So I now have the camera all repaired and ready to go but it is missing the firing pin! I learned a lot through this exercise!
Thanks again, regards, Subbarayan

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration