Rate Post Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Rate this post by selecting a number. 1 is the worst and 5 is the best.

(Worst)    1    2    3    4    5     (Best)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Cooltouch
Tinkerer
Username: Cooltouch

Post Number: 37

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0

Posted on Saturday, November 07, 2009 - 09:13 pm:   

I recently acquired a Canon FTbn in good overall condition except the meter does not respond. I replaced the long-dead 625 battery with a Wein cell, and the meter needle responds normally now when the switch is set to the "C" (for check) position. But the needle does not deflect at all when the switch is set to "on" and the camera is pointed at an adequate light source.

It's been quite a few years since I've had the covers off an FTb, and I'd just as soon not be flying blind anyway. So, is there any component/area that I should look to first as a most likely culprit? And perhaps more importantly, should I actually need a part, is there a source for meter parts for these old Canons anymore these days?

Okay, about the focusing screen -- the foam mirror bumper has rotted away, leaving behind a sticky residue, and somebody must have wiped a portion of this stuff across the focusing screen, probably when trying to remove rotting pieces. What would be the best way to clean the screen without having to remove it (which requires dismantling the top end of the camera)? I'm thinking alcohol and a very tiny brush sold by International Violin, which is used by violin makers as a finish touch-up tool. I have a stash of these. But perhaps another solvent might work better? Naphtha? Acetone? ???

Thanks,
Michael

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration