Rate Post Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Rate this post by selecting a number. 1 is the worst and 5 is the best.

(Worst)    1    2    3    4    5     (Best)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Cooltouch
Tinkerer
Username: Cooltouch

Post Number: 50

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0

Posted on Saturday, December 12, 2009 - 07:42 pm:   

I just received a Yashica Mat 124 that I bought off feeBay, and it is in really nice shape except for a bit of fungus in the taking lens. The fungus is actually entirely resident within the group(s) behind the shutter.

I have a lens spanner, but because the rear element is recessed so deeply into the front of the camera (looking at it from the back), my spanner's shanks aren't long enough to reach it.

So. I can look for a special spanner with very long shanks, or I can make one on my lathe and mill, or I'm hoping I can just remove the entire assembly from the front of the camera that contains both lenses and everything else associated with them.

I d/l'd the Yashica D repair "manual" that's in the "Repair Manuals" section, which is really just a series of exploded diagrams, but if I can assume that the dismantling procedure is the same or similar with the 124, it appears that removal of the entire lens assembly is possible.

Going by the Yashica D diagram, it looks like I should probably start by peeling back the leatherette on the front standard. What I'm not clear on is what to do next. The diagram seems to suggest that I can remove the entire standard at this point -- which is what I want to do.

So, if you've had to do this before, I'd appreciate your feedback. I really don't like tearing into a camera blind (which I've done many times), only to find there was a far easier way to do what I wanted to do. Just trying to save time and keep the aggravation factor down to a minimum.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration