Rate Post Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Rate this post by selecting a number. 1 is the worst and 5 is the best.

(Worst)    1    2    3    4    5     (Best)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 734

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0

Posted on Tuesday, January 05, 2010 - 09:22 am:   

If you find the right supply outlet - here in UK it will be 'Hoover' and Washing Machine repair shops - look at their catalogue of internally 'toothed' rubber drive belts. The belts needed are the solid rubber, non-reinforced type that are normally used in vac cleaners or similar low power drive situations. If you turn the correct diameter belt 'inside out' you will have a nice ridged circular grip. Depending on the width of the original grip, you may have to slip a number of belts onto the lens barrel, cutting the width down on the last one, if required, to completely fill the recess in the lens ring. If you choose the correct diameter you do not even have to use an adhesive. A combination of toothed and smooth belts produces a very OEM looking grip on a large tele or zoom lens.

I have used these belts to provide extra grip on some of my larger diameter lenses - cold weather and small aging hands are not conducive to a firm and secure feeling grip. Still shouldn't complain, I can still carry the buggers about and use them!

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration