Rate Post Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Rate this post by selecting a number. 1 is the worst and 5 is the best.

(Worst)    1    2    3    4    5     (Best)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Aphototaker
Tinkerer
Username: Aphototaker

Post Number: 73

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0

Posted on Thursday, February 18, 2010 - 12:53 pm:   

Here are a few instructions from my experience with my FTb. But mind the screws that Gez mentioned, I am not familiar with those.

NB: It is very useful to take pictures before you do each step. Also, it is important that you put aside the parts you take off in a specific order. Both these tips make the re-assembly smooth.

NB: Use the following only as guidelines, not as a specific procedure. I am describing this based on FTb.

NB: You need an appropriate screw driver for the screws. I use a #0 "+" head with the tip shortened using a file. I also use a #0 "=" screw driver that comes with a watch repair kit.

Do the following with the lens unmounted.

1. Remove rewind knob on the top left of the camera. To do this, open the film door normally, block the film cartridge fork with something non-metallic (a carved pencil is wonderful, or the clip of a plastic ball point point) to block the fork and unscrew the rewind knob from the top.

2. Remove the battery and its cover from the left side of the camera.

3. Remove the screws that are in the top cover on the back side, the right hand side and in the front.

4. Remove the shutter speed knob: Set the speed to 1/1000 and the ASA to the lowest. I do this using a pair of pointed forceps. I put the tips of the forceps in the tiny holes in the metallic top of the selector and unscrew that knob. Be very careful if you want to avoid scratching that part. Then remove the washers under it.

6. Remove the advance knob. Use the same pair of forceps to unscrew its flat head. The rest of the assembly comes off from underneath it.

7. Now, I am not familiar with the grup screws that Gez mentioned. So you have to be careful regarding that. Other than that, the top should come off now (it might be a bit difficult to slide it away in the up direction the first time). Mind the wires that may go to the flash contacts.

This just to give you some idea. But please confirm the procedure with somebody who has already opened an FT before.

BTW, would it be too much problem if you take photos along the way and post them somewhere online?

Best of luck.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration