Rate Post Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Rate this post by selecting a number. 1 is the worst and 5 is the best.

(Worst)    1    2    3    4    5     (Best)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Aphototaker
Tinkerer
Username: Aphototaker

Post Number: 81

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0

Posted on Wednesday, February 24, 2010 - 09:37 pm:   

Perhaps I am mistaken, but my interpretation of Jon's ads on ebay is that it is only for one single camera. I welcome any corrections, however. Please note that I came to know about these ads here only relatively recently. I have never used the product and, obviously, cannot say one way or the other regarding its quality.

Regarding the material a camera is designed for, I am not sure I understand your point(but then, I am not an expert). A change of material, AFAIK, can be due to various factors, one of which is cost. Perhaps foams began to be used because it is more cost effective and time efficient to do so, while sacrificing life of the material used (fact: foams deteriorate). In other words, I am trying to understand if there can be any harm in using yarn, for example, in place of foam used for door seals by Canon in FT series cameras.

Now, if I am repairing my own camera, and since I can use whatever material I want, this question becomes more important. Should I use a foam from a foam kit with uncertain life (a few years in dry climate, only some months in hot and humid? who knows?), or wool yarn which does not appear to show any ill effects in practice and has been reported to be used even in movie cameras? If it is functionally good for movie cameras (quite a critical application), I want some of that too! :-)

It is something like metal versus plastic gears. Manufacturers switched to lot of plastic gears in the 70's and onwards. So are plastic gears better for us? For the manufacturers, sure. For us, surely not as far as the age and robustness is concerned.

I have started an experiment with my FTb with wool yarn. I plan to extend it to mirror foam as well. So far it is going extremely well. But I thought to throw this out in the open for discussion and try to see how the age of typical foam compares with the performance of fabrics I mentioned.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration