Rate Post Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Rate this post by selecting a number. 1 is the worst and 5 is the best.

(Worst)    1    2    3    4    5     (Best)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Aphototaker
Tinkerer
Username: Aphototaker

Post Number: 88

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0

Posted on Friday, February 26, 2010 - 12:56 pm:   

Yes, I am a complete newbie as far as the inner working of flashes and their protocols with cameras are concerned (isn't PC still an undefined or un-disclosed 'standard'?).

Tom, I have had a question a few number of times that goes like this "Nice camera! Does it take color photos?". :-)

Yes, I got it that flash x-contact is just a metal switch in old film cameras and a semi-conductor switch in modern digital cameras.

Now I may be using wrong terminology here so just to confirm: in film cameras the x-sync switch gets closed at all speeds, but only at 1/60 (usually) or slower is the proper exposure expected? At the same time the PC connections also get shorted?

Also, is the nature of the x-sync and PC the same in modern film cameras (Canon EOS 5e, EOS 1N and EOS 50e) or can they also have semiconductor switches?

I notice that most of the flashes have some contacts at the bottom. Let us assume it is working in AE-1. How would it work on a Canon FT QL which does not have any contacts at its base ... mounting that flash on FT's shoe would just short all the flash's contacts!

Meanwhile, off to the eval-bay to look for those D flashes.

Sorry for all the basic questions, but trust me, once I am through with the background reading, I will know all the basics about this topic :-)

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration