Rate Post Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Rate this post by selecting a number. 1 is the worst and 5 is the best.

(Worst)    1    2    3    4    5     (Best)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mikel
Tinkerer
Username: Mikel

Post Number: 221

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0

Posted on Saturday, March 20, 2010 - 09:40 pm:   

In the interest of getting more old classic cameras back on the street and getting more old geezers (like myself) off the streets I am proposing to start a thread which gives advice to other camera repair hobby types. I think that we are ready for this.

What I propose is that we have a thread offering advice as to materials and tools useful in the repair of the type of cameras we focus on here.

Some of the the advice may seem politically incorrect regarding sources, formulas, or whatever. None of that stuff is going to limit my advice. And many of the posters here (all "new") will have as many opinions as there are posters. I hope we can get past that also.

Being in the US, many of my sources will be limited to US sources. Sorry about that but a good tip may be translatable into your own country. If so, and you have knowledge for the forum, that is your invitation to participate. So let's get that up and working.

So understand that I am not setting any rules here and you are not to do so either.

Let's get to the advice:

Early on in my camera repair career, I learned that Pliobond Cement was the stuff to use for attaching leather to cameras, making screw hooks reliable, and various other operations possible.

It's difficult to find today. But I have found the equivalent. It's available at Lowes Home Centers as DAP Weldwood Contact Cement. Less than five dollars. I've tried it and I like it.

Next tip for camera light seals:

WalMart has a product in their craft and fabric department called "Foamies" which are 2mm thick foam sheets. If you can't afford Jon Goodman's stuff (you are hard up at that point) you can get a sheet of foam which you can cut up into 2mm square strips which will answer for most camera groove requirements. I use my wife's rolling blade paper cutter to slice the strips.

Last for today is a tip I picked up from Rick Oleson. It involves a quick fix for pinholed cloth curtains. We all know that the replacement of the curtain is the proper solution but when we are working on a five dollar camera and want to take a few pictures with it, there is another solution. Rick's liquid electrical tape is available and working on my Zorki as we speak from Lowe's as "Liquid Tape" 4 oz for about six dollars.

That's all for now. What do you have to contribute?

I'll be back with some more of the same.

Mike

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration