Rate Post Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Rate this post by selecting a number. 1 is the worst and 5 is the best.

(Worst)    1    2    3    4    5     (Best)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Aphototaker
Tinkerer
Username: Aphototaker

Post Number: 168

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0

Posted on Sunday, March 28, 2010 - 10:39 pm:   

I appreciate the views Glenn has put forward. They show understanding, tolerance and wisdom. If nothing else in this thread, just his comments have given me something nice to remember.

Regarding trying to castigate and scare away spammers by being blunt, rude, arrogant, etc., I am not sure that will work. If spammers really gave a @$!* about these things, spam wouldn't be a problem today!

My take on the language issue is to be reasonable and practical. This is not an online English exam. It is unrealistic to think that a poster requesting help here would first listen to all these dressing downs and go to English classes (ref. Glenn's observation, often even native English speakers themselves hardly use proper grammar). If one can understand the question, good enough. Feel like replying? Sure, go ahead. It is an internet forum, after all! Don't like the questions, the tone of the poster, the grammar, the weather, your dinner, what have you? Don't post or reply. How simpler can it get?

I understand that there are various methods to deal with spam. Talking down to spammers (Bad boy! Shame no you!) has never been shown to work really. The ultimate method, I am afraid, might just be active moderation of the forum.

Finally, as most of you know, I had posted regarding Konica Auto S2' shutter earlier (Copal SVA). Many cited websites which actually did not show the exact model yet were of tremendous help. Also, Canon's FTb's instructions in the archives were of help in my opening and diagnosing a problem in an FT QL. So citations to literature on similar models can be of help.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration