Rate Post Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Rate this post by selecting a number. 1 is the worst and 5 is the best.

(Worst)    1    2    3    4    5     (Best)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mndean
Tinkerer
Username: Mndean

Post Number: 212

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0

Posted on Friday, March 26, 2010 - 11:06 am:   

FTW, for the win! Best sarcastic remark to a spammer (from end of M_Currie's suggestion #2). That's all I meant, Harry. Hardly serious. One needn't always be serious.

Glenn,
The problem is that we can become overrun by posts from people who do not understand English well enough to read the rules (this includes those who speak English natively, or haven't you noticed?), and since nobody appears to clear the spam out, we're on our own. Mild/moderate abuse has its place in defense of forums. Ignoring spammers may not encourage them, but it doesn't necessarily discourage them either. Look at the free-floating advice initially posted in this thread - it requires no response, except for some advice at the end. It will hang there and may deceive naive users into believing that such posts are acceptable, but unanswerable. I myself asked a perfectly acceptable question (about dismantling a Primo Jr. to clean the shutter) that got not a single response. Was it spam to be ignored? A few RTFR posts can keep the pests down to a minimum. Does nobody remember how Usenet has been dragged down? Any other forum can be dragged down similarly without a bit of vigilance.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration