Rate Post Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Rate this post by selecting a number. 1 is the worst and 5 is the best.

(Worst)    1    2    3    4    5     (Best)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Donyet
Tinkerer
Username: Donyet

Post Number: 29

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0

Posted on Wednesday, July 14, 2010 - 11:20 am:   

I disassembled the retarder briefly to see if I could loosen the gear. It is still immovable, you would think it was welded on by how jammed it is. I re-assembled the retarder while I had everything fresh in my mind. At least I know how to do it and I might try again after it has been sitting in carb or brake cleaner for a day or two.

By what I saw, the gear has a large hole that slips onto a tube shaped pin, then it is held there by a screw. This gives the gear a lot of surface area for hardened lubricant to do it's thing.

I may re-assemble the whole camera again even before I fix this gear so I don't forget how everything goes together, then disassemble it and keep working on it. At least this way I'll get plenty of experience fixing Copal shutters and Yashica-Mat cameras.

I have several other cameras that use Copal shutters such as my several Canon Canonets. I think this experience is valuable.

Alex

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration