Rate Post Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Rate this post by selecting a number. 1 is the worst and 5 is the best.

(Worst)    1    2    3    4    5     (Best)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Rlc
Tinkerer
Username: Rlc

Post Number: 120

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0

Posted on Friday, October 01, 2010 - 05:47 pm:   

Well said Marek.
While I spent most of my adult years cleaning, repairing and adjusting watches (some of which were complicated movements and some as simple as very early fusee movements) I never knew what mechanical complications were until seeing some of the fiendishly mechanical complications of cameras. I marvel at the complexity of modern shutters and shed a tear that all this is replaced by electronics. Guess I'm just a dinasour!
I still have my ultrasonic cleaner and watch cleaning and rinsing solutions. Sometimes I would have to make watch parts which were unavailable. Still have my watchmakers lathe and full set of collets and many tools some of which I had to make to accomplish the task at hand.
However now that I'm in my 80's my eyesight is not what it used to be, even with a binocular loupe or 10X eye loupe, and my fingers are not as dextrous as they once were.
I certainly would not attempt a complete strip down of any shutter except the most basic design such as a Kodak VIGILANT 620 which I just finishedand and is working fine.
As to the Naptha question I have never found a plastic which would be harmed by lighter fluid (Naptha) but I must conceed that there may be some.
Scott: I agree that denatured alcohol would be an acceptable solvent but never isoprophyl.
I use lighter fluid sparingly applied with hypodermic syringe.
Thanks for all the input.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration