Rate Post Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Rate this post by selecting a number. 1 is the worst and 5 is the best.

(Worst)    1    2    3    4    5     (Best)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

David Nebenzahl

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0

Posted on Monday, January 12, 2004 - 06:00 pm:   

How would I rate the Moskva-5 on construction and picture-taking? Excellent and excellent.

I can say that here with confidence, while I might not be so unreserved elsewhere. That's because I recognize that more than likely, your specimen will need some kind of attention: if not out-and-out repair, then at least adjustment.

The weak points of this camera are:

The rangefinder:
The Super Ikonta/Moskva rangefinder is a mechanical marvel and a wonder to behold, but prone to problems. I think the problem with mine is probably typical: a bushing inside the mechanism had worn enough to allow occasional gear slippage. It was repairable, with some doing.
The struts:
Mine doesn't have too many problems in this area, other than sometimes being difficult to close, but I've heard reports of Moskvas that either were hard to open or close, or were out of alignment. Mine is quite rigid and in good alignment.

The front-cell focusing method isn't the best (better for the entire lens to move), but the Industar lens on the Moskva is a serious competitor to the CZJ lenses on the Ikonta. Pictures are tack-sharp.

Oh, and the viewfinder isn't the greatest. I guess if I had my druthers, I'd look for a nice Voigtländer Bessa II, which has a combined viewfinder/rangefinder. But the Moskva's isn't terrible. (The rangefinder is quite good, and slightly telescopic, like a Leica, making focusing easy.)

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration