Rate Post Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Rate this post by selecting a number. 1 is the worst and 5 is the best.

(Worst)    1    2    3    4    5     (Best)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Alandove
Tinkerer
Username: Alandove

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0

Posted on Thursday, December 16, 2010 - 08:34 am:   

I'm so glad I'm not the only one. I bought a C3 on eBay a couple of weeks ago, and discovered that the shutter was stuck at 1/300. Taking it apart for a CLA revealed that the shutter works weren't just gummed up, but actually stuck. Lighter fluid and some gentle prodding eventually released the escapement mechanism, and I saw that the little half-gear has a few bent teeth on the far end.

I have no idea how that happened, but suspect I wasn't the first to open the camera. This apppears to be a very uncommon problem - Googling it reveals nothing but this forum thread.

Jim, please post here if you eventually find a replacement gear and manage to install it. I'll do the same. I know these cameras are as common as dirt, but would still hate to pitch one in the trash if it's fixable. Alternatively, if your camera has stripped a different gear (not the half-gear, but maybe one of the round ones?), maybe we could swap parts.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration