Rate Post Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Rate this post by selecting a number. 1 is the worst and 5 is the best.

(Worst)    1    2    3    4    5     (Best)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mareklew
Tinkerer
Username: Mareklew

Post Number: 208

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0

Posted on Tuesday, December 07, 2010 - 01:17 pm:   

What actually got me into film was not being able to afford full-format digital and wanting a wiiiiiide angle. So I got a Praktica and a Flektogon 20mm. That was wide. As the praktica came with its bunch of problems, I soon got into camera tinkering too.

I must admit, that I prefer owning cameras that are in far-from-mint cosmetic condition. The reason is quite complicated, but I'll try my best to explain it:
- on one side old machines fascinate me and I love to enjoy them in their original condition, as the engineers of the past invented them. I find a lot of ingenious solutions went away with the advent of electronics, and so went away the handling of fine mechanics. What do you need a mechanical speed governor for, if you can just use an IC to count the time, and it's more accurate too? So there goes the metal speed dial that goes click when you switch it...
- However, I hate to see cameras, that are perfect users, sitting on a shelf. I can just think of these hoarded RF Leicas, that are treated more like jewelery, than tools. And they are close-to-perfect tools.
- On the other hand I hate to ruin the appearance of perfectly preserved piece of engineering, and I know, that if I actually USE it, I will mark it or dent it. If it wasn't mint, one scratch won't make a difference, and my conscience will not stand in my way. So I feel happy, that there are people, who keep some items in pristine condition just for the sake of preserving the look.

Till now only once I have violently opposed using a camera just for the fun of handling it. A friend of mine brought a camera his father-in-law gave him. The camera was an original-condition, connoisseur-mint (as opposed to eBay-mint) Rolleiflex, built in 1937, with original, perfectly preserved leather strap on it, original lens cap, and shutter in 100% working condition. Minute sings of rust on the hood hinge and edge corossion on the front-silver mirror were the only flaws.

I said I won't shoot it, the first scratch it gets will be worth a fortune. I had no idea, what the value in present-state was. There were (according to the serial number) only about 2000 units produced.

Well, I hope he keeps it well :-)
I'm back to shooting my not-so-good-looking-but-well-oiled 'tools'.

Marek

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration