Rate Post Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Rate this post by selecting a number. 1 is the worst and 5 is the best.

(Worst)    1    2    3    4    5     (Best)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Thol
Tinkerer
Username: Thol

Post Number: 23

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0

Posted on Sunday, April 22, 2012 - 07:01 am:   

It seems an easy question but it is a difficult discussion. And it is one that is not restricted to cameras of course. It extends all the way from wrist watches to bicycles, automobiles .... and the extravagant end — aircraft and classic racing yachts.

There are a lot of places with climates that can be so humid as to ruin any displayed collection within short order unless it is sealed in a display case that controls humidity. Not cheap. I have a collection of non-working cameras that I cannot afford to have repaired, yet they are too precious and/or complicated (e.g. Contaflex) for my amateur meddling. I've thought of displaying them, but that is consigning them to a certain eternal death in the Japanese climate. Even if I had the funds, there is no room for a large enough display case. So they remain sealed up in special boxes with huge tins of desiccant.

Perhaps I am neither a user or collector. I have all the cameras I've ever owned since 1963 but two. Some of them still work perfectly :-) I am sure that I am not alone here.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration