Rate Post Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Rate this post by selecting a number. 1 is the worst and 5 is the best.

(Worst)    1    2    3    4    5     (Best)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Stereopost
Tinkerer
Username: Stereopost

Post Number: 6

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0

Posted on Monday, July 18, 2011 - 08:12 pm:   

Why? Because I CAN! I got hooked on cameras in the 1970s. I have made my own Daguerrotypes, and that's no lie. I found the art of using print paper for negatives in old cameras where there is no longer film made. Some in plate holders, the others with the paper taped into rolls of black paper and marked for the film number to be seen in the red lens of the back. One never really understands photography until you experiment with the old processes and the old cameras. You will fall in love. True, it's harder and more expensive today, more's the pity...But, one thing about the old cameras is the CONTROL! What I really love about film cameras is the ability to control depth of field. I have taken portraits and opened up the diaphragm and blurred out a distracting background, something I can't do with a digital camera. Plus, you can change lenses FAR past the ability of the limited wide-to-tele of the modern digitals. I suppose there are the ultra-expensive digitals that will do more, but on a budget, nothing beats an old film camera and a set of lenses. Nothing beats a REALLY old bellows or box camera for fun!

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration