Rate Post Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Rate this post by selecting a number. 1 is the worst and 5 is the best.

(Worst)    1    2    3    4    5     (Best)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Michael_qrt
Tinkerer
Username: Michael_qrt

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0

Posted on Tuesday, February 08, 2011 - 04:45 am:   

Hey all, I recently picked up an Oly 35 rd with a sticky shutter as a bit of a 'project' camera. Anyway, I'd seen Henry's tutorial for shutter cleaning and thought I'd give it a go. The front cell is extreemly tight. I thought I'd be clever about it and over the past few weeks I've been dabbing a bit of penetrating oil behind the retaining ring every few days. So far I havn't had any luck; I nearly destroyed my lens spanner and have marred the aluminium ring containing the front cell. I don't care too much about the cosmetics, the camera was already looking a bit beat up (thought the lens is in good condition), but I do need to get the front cell off. Henry mentions that he had to use the 'hammer and drift' method to remove the front cell. I don't know what a drift is but I'm guessing that it's something to stick in what's left of the slots in the retaining ring and hammer to try to loosen the ring. Is this the right picture? I'm thinking I could stick the camera in a vise, get a flat blade screwdriver and put it in one of the slots and hammer away. Am I on the right track? This seems like a fast way to camera destruction but I'm out of other ideas to remove that front cell.

As a possible alternate method to clean the shutter, is it possible to access and clean the shutter unit from the back by removing the lens unit from the camera body? Any advise would be appreciated.

Michael

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration