Rate Post Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Rate this post by selecting a number. 1 is the worst and 5 is the best.

(Worst)    1    2    3    4    5     (Best)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 902

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0

Posted on Thursday, February 24, 2011 - 06:21 am:   

As is well known; it is the sprockets that actually do the advancing of the film when winding on a 35mm camera, the take up spool only rotates because it is held by some form of friction device on the extension shaft below the wind on knob (in this case) or lever.

So unless the base plate was deformed during the original CLA - not common on a Leica but does happen if one is ham fisted when working on the early Soviet clones - I suggest that Matthew has come up with the most probable cause of this problem and the whole of the take up spool assembly should be stripped and rebuilt to the proper specification.

However the statement that the release is harder to operate leads me to ask the question "Is there actually a problem with the base plate?" The term 'harder to wind on' is very subjective, so I have no idea if the camera is actually operating within design limits but clearly the poster thinks it is not. The problem with old cameras that are built from superior materials is that actual mechanical wear can be minute, even if the camera has not been serviced. Add in the factor of little actual use and you have the situation of an old camera that requires very careful assembly and alignment during reassembly if one is to prevent initial 'binding' of the mechanism from the tight tolerances involved, even the slight over tightening of retaining screws can play havoc with the free running of the mechanism. You can CLA an old Zorki or Fed from the same era wearing boxing gloves, wear will have taken care of any tight tolerance issues.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration