Rate Post Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Rate this post by selecting a number. 1 is the worst and 5 is the best.

(Worst)    1    2    3    4    5     (Best)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Sdedalus
Tinkerer
Username: Sdedalus

Post Number: 3

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0

Posted on Tuesday, April 19, 2011 - 07:00 pm:   

I've bagged up all the bits and set aside my two nightmare cameras in favor of something simpler.

$45 netted me an Ikonta 524 in excellent cosmetic condition with a wildly misaligned rangefinder and sticky shutter. Fortunately for me, the top on this one is a snap to remove and the Prontor was far, far easier to break down and clean. I didn't have time to test the shutter for accuracy, but it sounds pretty close. The rangefinder is now dead on at infinity and close enough to ignore vertically. The lens may be a lowly f 3.5 Novar, but I get the feeling she'll be getting a lot of use.

One interesting dilemma I encountered was that the head on the retaining screw for the spring which holds the double exposure prevention mechanism in place had broken off and was floating around inside. Eventually I'll need to drill out the stuck shaft and replace the screw, but super glue seems to be holding quite well for now.

What's the best way to verify focus in the absence of ground glass? I've got a loose TLR focus screen which I used in place of the real thing, but I couldn't really tell for sure. I was able to get the front cell threading in at the point it disengaged, so it should be pretty close.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration