Rate Post Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Rate this post by selecting a number. 1 is the worst and 5 is the best.

(Worst)    1    2    3    4    5     (Best)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 914

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0

Posted on Sunday, April 24, 2011 - 07:18 am:   

I would certainly agree with the comments by the last contributor. Also, one should never start applying Acetone or MEK into a lens assembly (however small the amount), until one is well versed in methods of lens construction and the assembly techniques used. Applied wrongly or wicking through to hidden plastic parts, can leave the whole assembly welded solid.

On your query on lack of infinity focus, are you actually sure that you are not muddling focus shift with inability to focus at infinity? The type of focus screen fitted can also play an important part in the ability to judge actual focus point - although in your case the particular lens should function with the standard SRT 202 screen. Never try and judge focus shift or point by initial focus at the short focal length end of the scale, always focus at the maximum focal length and then zoom in to make your assessment.

You indicate that this lens appears clean and tidy - zoom lenses from this era are notorious for 'sucking in' large amounts of dust which will settle on the internal surfaces of the optics. Unless your lens has seen very little use, I suggest that it has been stripped and cleaned by somebody who had little or no knowledge of the correct set up techniques. With your self admitted lack of experience I doubt if you can strike lucky and correct the problem - although over the years I have come across a number of people who have been extremely lucky in their ignorance!

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration