Rate Post Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Rate this post by selecting a number. 1 is the worst and 5 is the best.

(Worst)    1    2    3    4    5     (Best)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Sean OKeefe

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0

Posted on Monday, February 23, 2004 - 05:06 am:   

Nik,
I buy self adhesive "foamies" at walmart for under a buck a sheet. The cell density is higher than for some other foam but they work fine for mirror and rear door. I use thin black cotton twine for the thin rails inside the back of the camera. You need to clean all of the old gooey mess carefully - I scrape off what I can with thin knives and small screwdrivers, then toothpicks, alcohol and small pieces of lintless paper balled up, soaked in alcohol, and run down the channels with a small tweezers or toothpick. For glue, I use Elmers white glue or any other that dries clear. Avoid crazy glue or expoy. I have a syringe with a wide tip that I fill with the glue to get it in the bottom of the channels before I put the twine in. I have done this with a thin toothpick as well. You can cut the foamies thin and use them for the channels but that is a lot trickier...it is easier to use standard (non self adhesive) foamies and use glue in the tracks than to use self adhesive foamies there - at least in my experience.

In most cameras there are foams under the bottom cover and under the top cover that need to be replaced at the same time to do a proper job.

Sean

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration