Rate Post Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Rate this post by selecting a number. 1 is the worst and 5 is the best.

(Worst)    1    2    3    4    5     (Best)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

WernerJB

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0

Posted on Saturday, February 05, 2005 - 04:37 pm:   

Thanks for no reply. I should have known that I was on my own, so I decided to take out the front plate (four screws, as usual), took off the plastic dome (three maggot screws) incl. the plastic frame withn rounded edges, removed the rear element of the lens and then cleaned, cleaned, cleaned the shutter blades, as they showed heavy wear and scratches on their backsides. A lot of dirt came out, but finally the blades were free. Unfortunately the shutter could no longer be cocked, and there was a feeling of metal rubbing against metal the harder I tried. So I decided to take off its front cover (5 tiny crosshead screws) and the shutter speed control ring (mind the cocking "wheel" underneath, it is springloaded to return to zero position after the shutter fired, if it is not correctly installed, the shutter blades won't open) and after some playing around with the cocking device I noticed the reason for the failure of the whole device: the main spring and its housing, incl. the cocking shaft (similar to the German Prontor shutter) had to be slightly regreased (watchoil plus MOS2 grease). After the treatment the shutter works perfectly again.
Complete reassembly and insertion of a new wire (leaking mercury cell, the usual mess) will most probably pose no problems, but now (about midnight) ...
is the time for a cold drink!

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration