Rate Post Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Rate this post by selecting a number. 1 is the worst and 5 is the best.

(Worst)    1    2    3    4    5     (Best)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

In2classics
Tinkerer
Username: In2classics

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0

Posted on Tuesday, July 12, 2011 - 11:29 am:   

I did this with mine and it is quite straightforward. You can remove the main section of the rangefinder by unscrewing the 2 small screws on the front. They are different lengths - be aware of this for when you are putting them back afterwards. The front then slides off.

Once the main part is removed you can clean the inside of the 2 windows quite easily. I used a cotton bud with a little isopropyl alcohol on it. The windows are fixed in place but be careful. They should clean quickly and without trouble.

I was very careful with the mirrored main parts. I used a clean cotton bud with nothing on just to wipe over the surface very gently to remove any dust. The mirrors on mine where pretty clean anyway - most of the dirt was on the windows inside. Don't try cleaning the backs of the mirror. There is no need and you might remove some of the silvered coating and ruin it.

Once this was done, I reassembled the rangefinder.

Calibrating it is easy and you can calibrate the image horizontally without even opening it up. I put the rangefinder on my camera (on a tripod), moved the front to a set distance from the wall with a tape measure (mine is in feet - but something like 1.5 or 2 meters should be fine). I did this in my bathroom and suck a page of newspaper to the tiles with sellotape to use to focus on.

Focus the rangefinder in the usual way on the newsprint until the 2 images coincide. Then hold the middle knob (the one with the red ring) still without losing your setting and whilst holding it still, turn the calibrated distance large dial to the same distance as you have focussed from the wall. Sounds more complicated than it is!

Once this is correct, you have finished. You can adjust the vertical calibration if you need to, but I didn't need to on mine. There is a small hole which has a wax like substance over it underneath the rangefinder to do this. The wax just flicks out. That said I think you might need to remove the cover to get access to the screw (not sure) - you will be able to see it whilst the rangefinder is open. When I'd finished it was just like new. Hope this helps.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration