Rate Post Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Rate this post by selecting a number. 1 is the worst and 5 is the best.

(Worst)    1    2    3    4    5     (Best)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Howard

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0

Posted on Thursday, March 04, 2004 - 04:57 am:   

Hi Chris. I posted somehere here that I had great success with dissolving helicoid grease with a product called Shellite made by the Shell Oil Company. I imagine Esso or any of the other major oil companies probably have something similar. If you can get it and plan to use it I would remove the shutter from the camera and remove all the lens elements first. Prior to that I had the whole assembly soaking in lighter fluid for a week with similar results to you. The Shellite did a fantactic job on my old Petri in only a few minutes. To lubricate the helicoid later I used a silicon bicycle grease which had been recommended either on this site or somewhere else, anyhow I now have the smoothest focussing Petri 2.8 that I have ever felt.
I actually bought this great cameras new back in approx 1959 and from memory it was fairly stiff even new, much better now. I also used the grease on the front focussing element of a Voigtlander Vito II and it worked very well on that too. Hope this helps. Good luck with your attempts.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration