Rate Post Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Rate this post by selecting a number. 1 is the worst and 5 is the best.

(Worst)    1    2    3    4    5     (Best)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Winfried

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0

Posted on Saturday, March 13, 2004 - 03:47 am:   

To give some more hints, the ring which actuates the shutter blades was so tight I had to use some force to remove it from its seat (and some patience to straighten it again). It was not possible to get it back into its seat without using brute force.

The shutters used on the Kinax (simply named IPO, after the company which made these cameras) did not have a bad reputation. IPO was one of the many post-war start ups in the french camera industry. The shutters claim to reach 1/350 sec without any booster springs. The Kinax with the shutter in question seems to be a very early model, with a Berthiot Flor f/4.5 105mm lens (similar to a Tessar, it performs quite well in the 75mm version on my Semflex TLR). Later models were equipped with Berthiot Special triplet lenses (also a good performer) and Angenieux U1 lenses (one of my Kinax has an Angenieux X1 lens to which I could not find any reference, but it seems to be an export model with a distance scale in feet).

I have 6x9 folders from several french manufacturers, and the later Kinax models can easily compete with 6x9 Zeiss Ikontas in quality. I am mentioning this to show that it is unlikely that the shutter is a crappy design.

However, after re-sanding the inner circumferences of both rings mentioned, re-soldering a pin to the shutter blade (you will have to grind off the black 'coating' of the blades and use plumbers solder), and puzzling the speed escapement back together (I took off the wrong screw and it fell apart) the shutter is getting back to life again.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration