Rate Post Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Rate this post by selecting a number. 1 is the worst and 5 is the best.

(Worst)    1    2    3    4    5     (Best)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Cooltouch
Tinkerer
Username: Cooltouch

Post Number: 172

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0

Posted on Friday, December 16, 2011 - 05:34 pm:   

Okay so I went down to Radio Snack and bought a couple of 625 alkalines, installed them into the EF and YES! It works! The battery check LED blinks and the slow shutter speeds now work. But I'm pretty sure the meter is DOA. I can get the needle to respond, but only at the very lowest end of the EV range, and I think the only reason why the needle moves is because it's up against that low end. I sort of confirmed this by cranking on the ASA dial. Doing so -- like cranking from 100 to 1600, for example -- causes the needle to rise and fall, but it doesn't respond at all to light. I point the camera right at a lamp with the ASA dial cranked over far enough for the needle to be off its stop and move it away from the lamp and there is no deflection at all. So the meter's out.

I don't suppose there's anything that I can do to easily trace down the problem is there? I know it has a thread that passes through a bunch of pulleys, and I'm wondering if that might have come off its track or broken it would cause the meter not to work? I kind of doubt it. Maybe this might affect adjustment, but it shouldn't have an effect on sensitivity to light.

Oh well, if I can't figure out what to do, I'll just use a hand-held meter, same as I've done for the last 20 years or so with one of my old Nikon F2s (non-metered prism on the F2).

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration