Rate Post Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Rate this post by selecting a number. 1 is the worst and 5 is the best.

(Worst)    1    2    3    4    5     (Best)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Cooltouch
Tinkerer
Username: Cooltouch

Post Number: 175

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0

Posted on Sunday, December 18, 2011 - 05:19 pm:   

That's a good way to put it, Rick. It do feel that way!

Michael, I agree about the EF being a great camera. I had been shooting Canons for several years, including mostly old F-1s and FTbs, before I even heard of the EF. I think this was because the Old F-1 and FTb had been discontinued for several years by the time I discovered them, so I didn't really have much of a clue as to what else was contemporaneous to them. Plus I had also sort of turned my back on automation at that point, relegating my AE-1 and A-1 to the shelf once I discovered the joys of match-needle metering and partial area metering patterns. It was some time later, in my days as a camera dealer, that I finally acquired an EF for resale. I was in no hurry to sell it, however, and managed to take it along on several photo shoots before I finally, and with some reluctance, sold it. And it was during those times that I developed a soft spot for it.

Speaking of spots, I would like to track down more information about the EF's metering pattern. In its manual it refers to the pattern as Central Emphasis Metering and shows a diagram that indicates less sensitivity to the top of the frame, the reason being that this is where bright sky most likely will be, thus by desensitizing the meter to it, there's less of a chance of underexposure due to a bright light source up there. When Canon ushered in the AE-1, they referred to its metering pattern as bottom-centerweighted, which sounds very synonymous to the EF's Central Emphasis pattern, and which was described to do much the same thing.

I discovered rather quickly however that the AE-1 and later the A-1 had a nasty tendency to underexpose slides rather severely, despite the bottom-centerweighted nature of their metering patterns. So, I'm wondering if the EF's is essentially the same. Cuz if it is, when I load that puppy up with slides, I want to be prepared to deal with this "feature."

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration