Rate Post Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Rate this post by selecting a number. 1 is the worst and 5 is the best.

(Worst)    1    2    3    4    5     (Best)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Thol
Tinkerer
Username: Thol

Post Number: 6

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0

Posted on Friday, March 02, 2012 - 05:59 am:   

"Clear" is a pretty weak description for the condition of a lens. If it transmits light to the naked eye in a sharp and "unsmeared" manner, someone can term it clear despite any mushrooms, dust and other detritus being on it. For that reason, it may be reasonable for any 'concerned' bidder to sharply question the seller for more description — that is in VERY specific terms.

Yes, I have done exactly this on the few occasions I bought sight unseen. If the answers do not satisfy you, you can chose to butt-out of the bid. If you are looking for a parts unit vis a vis mechanical parts, you may choose to forge ahead albeit with a price ceiling in mind.

I agree with some of the above posts. If he refunds yer money, leave him be — IF the lens is not blotched by corrosive effects of fungus or abrazed in some evil way ... or if there is a detritus problem in the interior lens elements. In the case that these really are relevant factors, I'd give the seller the benefit of the doubt and let him off with a love-tap sort of caning in regards to how mushrooms and interior crud are factors that must be demonstrated or otherwise declared. We may have to assume that he/she is just ignorant. Get yer refund and be nice.

In regards to other products, I've had to do the same thing. There is always a chance that due to the seller's ignorance, you can turn out to be the bigger a-hole instead of being an educator.

Sorry to say ... I'm being a bit blunt like some members above. But there is the rub — eBay and other auctions get to this place on occasion. After a while, you get to know who are sellers who know their stuff and are not sharking — and otherwise you get to know those who are predatory. And even then if one sneaks through, in order to protect their record, they may offer you satisfaction. It can all be a PITA. But that is part of the auction experience. Otherwise you go to a reputable seller and buy a unit that has a CLA certificate and a 60 day warranty — and pay something for it.

You can win many times ... be disappointed sometimes ... and even if you are on your guard, you can even if rarely, get truly screwed.

My two bits. A bit long-winded perhaps, but I think that every auction bidder has to bear in mind the comprehensive issues of on-line auction sales. Cameras are a particularly sensitive case. I've come to some disappointment when buying old cameras even after examining and playing with them for an hour. In many ways they are like watches. They are time pieces with an optical complication. If you know a thing about mechanical/analog timepieces, you'll get my drift right away.

Best of luck ... Thol

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration