Rate Post Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Rate this post by selecting a number. 1 is the worst and 5 is the best.

(Worst)    1    2    3    4    5     (Best)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 1185

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0

Posted on Wednesday, February 29, 2012 - 06:48 pm:   

I use lighter fluid almost exclusively. It's a much more effective degreasing solvent than alcohol, somewhat more effective than acetone, and unlike acetone, trichlor and many other solvents, it is safe around plastics. It is also a pure solvent (a liquid paraffin in the octane/nonane range of molecular weight), not a blend, so I don't have to wonder what all is in it and what those minor components are going to do to my camera. It leaves no residue (if you have a residue after using it, it means you aren't finished). It is no more toxic than other solvents that are useful for this purpose. Yes, it is flammable, that's why we call it cigarette lighter fluid, but non-flammable solvents are bad around plastics. I would never use a citrus, acid- or water-based solvent in a camera, but if you feel so inclined, let me know how that works for you.

I have never heard a camera repairman suggest that there is anything wrong with lighter fluid, or for that matter, suggest anything that works better.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration